Microneedling is one of the most popular skincare treatments available. You may have heard a lot about it, and for good reason! Microneedling is one of the best ways to stimulate collagen and transform your skin from the inside out.
Microneedling is a cosmetic procedure that involves quickly and precisely inserting a dozen tiny needles into the skin at different depths to stimulate the skin’s natural healing response. As your body reacts to these microinjuries, it stimulates strengthening proteins like collagen and elastin, and during the weeks following the procedure you’ll start to see its effects on your skin, helping it appear tighter, smoother, and younger-looking. Safe and effective microneedling procedures need to be completed by professionals who have experience and training on how to set the microneedling device settings and perform the procedure to ensure optimal results.
- Stretch marks
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Mild skin laxity
There’s no need for bed rest following a microneedling treatment, although it does have some side effects that may impact your lifestyle. Most people experience 1-3 days of redness and swelling followed by slight peeling for 2-5 days. You can expect to start seeing visible improvement in the quality of your skin tone and texture at the end of the first week, improving for up to a month or more.
Microneedling is not something you need to take time off for, as recovery more closely feels like healing from a mild sunburn.
For optimal results, most people need between 4-6 sessions spaced about a month apart to effectively improve specific concerns or conditions. For those looking for general enhancement in the look of their skin, we recommend maintenance treatments once every 3-4 months if you’d like to continue experiencing smooth, tight skin.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure/burns 24 hours prior to procedure.
- Discontinue use of topical AHA’s, BHA’s or topical retinoids 24 hours prior to procedure.
- Wait six months following oral isotretinoin (Accutane) use.
- Avoid blood thinning products 10 days pre-treatment (example: NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, Aleve)
- This procedure may not be performed on active breakouts or open lesions. Please consult your provider prior to your Skin Pen procedure to address any such issues.
- Wait until the following morning until you wash your face to allow your skin to fully absorb products used during microneedling treatment.
- Avoid strenuous exercise following 72 hours after procedure as excess blood flow and sweat can cause discomfort and irritation.
- Follow the specific skincare regimen provided with your Skinfuse Post-Procedure Protocol.
- Strictly avoid sun exposure as you will not be wearing sunscreen. You may return to sunscreen use 24 hours following the procedure. Continue minimum sun exposure for 72 hours following the procedure.
- Avoid using active skincare such as AHA’s, BHA’s, Retinol, Vitamin C, or mechanical scrubs or devices for the following week.
- Active skin cancer in treatment area(s)
- Have open wounds, sores, or irritated skin in treatment area(s)
- Have allergy to stainless steel or anesthetics
- Have bleeding disorder
- Are pregnant or nursing
- Are currently taking drugs with ingredient “isotretinoin”
- History of Keloids
Microneedling in Portland, Oregon
If you are considering Microneedling or have questions if this is the right procedure for you, schedule a consultation with Dr. Fichadia today! Contact our office by calling (503) 488-2344 or contact us online.